Saturday 1 June 2013

Illamasqua Lipstick in Liable & MAC Prep + Prime Lip

I was sitting in the garden catching up on reading beauty blogs when it dawned on me that I should do a lip swatch and review while the sun was out.

Wearing large sunglasses because my eyebrows are a state and I have a spot on my cheek. Also please ignore my hair, I promise it's cleaner than it looks.

I bought Liable along with their nail varnish in Raindrops (a cult 'must-have') when Illamasqua had a 50% off sale to celebrate hitting 50,000 followers on Twitter. The lipstick is normally £16.50, so I paid £8.25 for it. Not a bad price at all for a mid-to-high-end brand. It's a matte orange-based red.

At first I tried a hand swatch and the colour pay off was pretty bad due to the extremely dry formula, and it even felt a little grainy. At that point I wondered what on earth it would do to my poor lips, but when I applied it (straight from the tube as I am not convinced that using a brush would get good colour payoff) to my lips, the colour showed up very well. It didn't feel as drying as the texture would have led me to believe, but was certainly not the most comfortable lipstick I've worn. It also emphasises dry skin and flakiness so be sure to exfoliate before application. There was a little transfer of colour onto a coffee cup but that didn't show up on the lips. After a few hours it faded on the inside of my lips so I removed it, and it stained my lips slightly. 

This time I tried it with a primer underneath.

So fierce.

I recently bought MAC Prep + Prime Lip after reading a couple of positive reviews on MakeupAlley. It feels absolutely lovely on the lips, the texture reminds me a little of Benefit's Dr. Feelgood balm (does anyone actually use that any more? Let me know) and, like all MAC lipsticks, smells of vanilla, but was undetectable once it was applied. It's white in the tube, and if you look closely it does make the lips a tiny bit paler, but doesn't alter the lipstick colour at all. I consulted a MAC employee who said to apply it, wait a few seconds, blot, then apply lipstick.

Liable is definitely more comfortable to wear while my lips are closed, but still feels slightly drying when I smile. The inner edges of my lips are faded after tea and toast. I don't feel its made a huge difference but it's certainly not made things any worse so I shall continue to use it and give a final verdict when/if I finish the tube. It was £12 which is not, in my opinion, too expensive for a lip primer.

No comments:

Post a Comment